Welcome to the third of four book club discussions during the Agent Grad School Summer Book Club 2020 edition:
Turning Pro By Steven Pressfield.
This book caused quite a controversy when we discussed it in our office. Some agents loved what the author said about what it took to “Turn Pro,” others said it went too far and created an unrealistic picture of what it takes.
Turning Pro is not only the tale of this best-selling author’s journey from truck driver to best selling author to award-winning Hollywood screenwriter, but it also tells the tale of what the author says we all need to do to pass through the “messy and scary membrane” from living an amateur life to having a professional practice.
Turning Pro is A Decision
He says, “Turning Pro is a mindset. It’s free, but it’s not easy. It demands sacrifice. When we turn pro, we give up a life that we may have become extremely comfortable with. We give up a self that we have come to identify with and to call our own.”
He says that all we need in order to “Turn Pro” is to make the decision. After that, we have to change how we spend our time and who we spend our time with.
The 20 Habits of A Pro
The book presents 20 habits and qualities that the professional possesses that the amateur does not:
1. The professional shows up every day
2. The professional stays on the job all day
3. The professional is committed over the long haul
4. For the professional, the stakes are high and real
5. The professional is patient
6. The professional seeks order
7. The professional demystifies
8. The professional acts in the face of fear
9. The professional accepts no excuses
10. The professional plays it as it lays
11. The professional is prepared
12. The professional does not show off
13. The professional dedicates himself to mastering technique
14. The professional does not hesitate to ask for help
15. The professional does not take failure or success personally
16. The professional does not identify with his or her instrument
17. The professional endures adversity
18. The professional self-validates
19. The professional reinvents herself
20. The professional is recognized by other professionals
From talking to real estate agents every day, I can tell you, the ones that succeed in this business are true professionals. They show up, they don’t make excuses and they are full of fear and self-doubt but move forward to make the vision they see for themselves a reality anyway.
It truly is a mindset and a decision that makes or breaks success in this business. Even if you don’t agree with what the author presents as the sacrifices necessary to “turn pro” committing to the list of 20 habits of a pro will change your business and your life outside your business for the better.
Is Turning Pro Worth It?
The real question is, is turning pro “worth it?”
That’s for you to literally decide, but the author argues it is. He says life becomes easy once we turn pro.
What We Get When We Turn Pro
What we get when we turn pro is we find our power.
We find our will and our voice and we find our self-respect.
We become who we always were but had, until then, been afraid to embrace and live out.
“What happens when we turn pro is, we finally listen to that still, small voice inside our heads. At last we find the courage to identify the secret dream or love or bliss that we have known all along was our passion, our calling, our destiny.”
I hope you’ll listen to your own “small voice inside your head” and find the courage to do what it takes to make your secret dream come true, whatever it is for you.
If your dream includes having a successful real estate business, one full of clients coming to you, wanting to work with you, excited to work with you and who truly value your expertise, we can help you make that happen.
To your success,
Agent Grad School is the best online business school for modern real estate agents. We teach a proven system to have a successful real estate career using smart, unconventional strategies and modern marketing methods to attract clients.
about your instructor
Hi, I'm Jennifer!
I'm a real estate agent, creator of Agent Grad School and host of the podcast Confessions of A Top Producing Real Estate Agent. I teach real estate agents the exact steps I used to become one of the top 1% of agents in the US using online marketing and modern, out-of-the-box business strategies.